Monday, April 5, 2010

Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting



I was really intrigued by this coconut frosting recipe from Elana's Pantry, so I wanted to try it for Easter. I was a little nervous since some of the reviewers had trouble getting the frosting fluffy, but I didn't have any problems. It was pretty tasty. Next time I would reduce the agave, it was just a little too sweet. Here is the frosting recipe:

Ingredients:
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup agave nectar
pinch celtic sea salt
5 teaspoons arrowroot powder
1 tablespoon water
1¼ cup coconut oil

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, heat coconut milk, agave and salt, simmer for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water to form a smooth paste. Pour arrowroot mixture into saucepan. Mix contents of saucepan with a hand blender and bring to a boil, briefly. Remove pot from heat and very gradually blend in coconut oil. Place pot in freezer for 20-30 30-40 minutes, until frosting solidifies and turns white. Remove from freezer and blend again, until fluffy. Spread over cake or cupcakes.


For the cupcakes, I altered an existing recipe I found. They came out really good. The flavor was nutty because I used oatmeal as my flour and someone said they were similar in taste to carrot cake.

Ingredients:
½ cup almond milk
¾ cup palm sugar
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon coconut extract
1¼ cup oat flour (I didn't have oat flour so I used regular slow cook oatmeal, that I put in the food processor and made into a powder)
1½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup coconut oil

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with liners. Combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl and mix, put all the wet ingredients in another bowl and mix. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Spoon batter into cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes, or until tops of cupcakes are firm. Let cool. I only got about 9 cupcakes out of this so if you need more you should double the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment